Sunday, July 1, 2012

Red White and Blue Blog Hop starts today

http://janesfabrics.blogspot.com/2012/05/redwhiteblue-blog-hop-schedule.html

After yesterday, it is good to have a distraction and I have two today.  First, the Red, White and Blue blog hop starts today.  The schedule is found on Jane's blog and you can see my day is way down on July 11.  I have a few days to get my block made.  But, from the looks of it, there are some overachievers in the group :)  Some of these ladies made a whole bunch of different blocks and some made mini quilts.  There are some great giveaways already.  I can't wait to see what is in store for tomorrow.

The thing I love about blog hops is you get to see new quilt blogs and read back over old posts and see what everyone is up to.  Everyone has such different quilting styles that I always learn something new with each hop.  I don't take quilting classes, but feel like I am taking a class when I visit these blog hops because I learn so much.

My second distraction will be this afternoon taking my oldest to a hotel in San Francisco because she is flying to China in the morning.  You can never tell what the traffic will be like going into the City on a Monday morning, so we figured it would be easier and a safer bet to book a hotel (which I need to do! Yikes!) and get her there tonight. Then, she can sleep in longer, get to the airport rested up for her 14 hour flight to Hong Kong.  She will be teaching a creative writing class to some American middle school kids.  Who sends their jr. high kid to Hong Kong for a month in the summer to learn English?  She is going to have a blast, that's for sure.

She is becoming my world traveler, having gone to Greece last summer for a month to learn about Greek authors and walk the streets they lived in.  I think traveling is in her blood now and will be hard to get out.  Good for her and I hope she gets a job that can afford her the time and money to be able to travel a lot.

She will come home for 5 days (mostly to catch up on sleep) and then be off to Florida to visit her boyfriend, spend time on the beaches and relax before going off to grad school at Washington University in St. Louis.  She found the perfect apartment and is ready for independent living, away from the dorms and room mates.  Oh, to be young again!

Well, I better hop to things around here.  After spending about 8 hours yesterday cleaning out my mother in law's house, I started looking at my own possessions a little differently.  If I had $1 for every plastic bag she saved, I could buy enough fabric to well...let's just say the fabric industry would't be struggling.  We all have the crazy things we save for 'someday' and I don't want my kids going through my things having to deal with my crazy obsessions :)  I have a couple of boxes of things that need to be shipped tomorrow.  My mother in law had a mini stroke yesterday and it looks like chemo will be out as an option for the cancer now.  She is getting weaker by the day and they are taking about just keeping her comfortable now.

We are never promised tomorrow, or even 5 minutes from now, so that's why I hate wasting time with my stupid headaches.  Too many things to do before my time on earth is up.

No comments: