Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Supporting Margaret's Hope Chest

One of the charity groups I send quilts to is Margaret's Hope Chest
They have a website
http://www.margaretshopechest.com/

and a blog

http://margaretshopechest.blogspot.com/

They support several programs, one is a program for children who have a parent in prison.  I teach high school and work with kids who have a parent in prison.  It isn't the kids' fault the parent made bad choices, but often the kid pays the price.  They feel guilty for the things their parent did.  Margaret's Hope Chest gives quilts to these kids from the parent in prison to let the kid know they are loved.  Kids need to know that.  EVERY DAY.  Even when the parent isn't around.

Another program they support is A Mother's Hope where new mothers who are going through Post Partum Depression are given a quilt of their very own to have and hold.  Often new mothers are looked over and the focus is on the new baby.  I just experienced depression brought on by some medicine that was supposed to help me and boy, was that a scary thing.  I didn't care about anything.  I don't want anyone to feel like this and if a hand made quilt can help these women, let's work together to make many more quilts as fast as we can!  Depression sucks!  Seriously. 

So, here's my offer to you.  Have you wanted to help out, but thought, I just can't work fast enough?  I love to make quilt tops, but have no way of finishing them off?  I can't afford a long arm quilter and I can't quilt them myself on my little/old/simple machine?

Well, for my 25th anniversary, my husband got me a robotic quilting machine.  I LOVE IT. Oh, I mean I love him.  Yeah, that's what I mean :)

Well, that thing (Rebecca the Robotic Quilting Machine) is super great and loves to work.  We want to help you out and help Margaret's Hope Chest too.

If you love to make quilt tops and love to help MHC (Margaret's Hope Chest), you can send me your quilt tops and I will quilt them up, pass them on to my binding buddies and send them on to MHC for you.  You can include backing if you want, but I do have a lot of fabric here.  And I do mean a lot.  A friend just gave me half her stash.  I'm building shelves in the garage to store more stuff and I need to work 36 hours a day to work through what I have.  So, if you have the perfect backing fabric, send it, but don't feel bad if you don't have the perfect fabric for backing or binding.

What size to make?  Kid size is usually 48x60 up to twin size-ish 72x90.  mom size is in the 72x90 range.  I just made one about that size for me--my first quilt and I LOVE IT, almost as much as I love my husband and quilting machine, in that order :)

How about batting?  Well, you can pay to ship batting to me, or you can purchase a roll of batting if you want and have that shipped for free usually from JoAnn's.  I love the Kodel batting.  Yes, it is polyester.  Yes, it does not shrink when washed.  Yes, it is the cheapest batting out there.  Here's the link.  It is 50% off right now and if you spend $50 it has free shipping.  Of course, it is only $47. 
http://www.joann.com/kodel-traditional-loft-polyester-batting-48inx50yds/9812066.html
I hate when they do that to you, but I'm sure you could find something to spend $3 on.  Maybe thread.  I just got some and got glow in the dark thread.  Like I need that, but hey, it is fun for the kids!  If it works...

Only send batting if you plan on sending lots of quilt tops.  I have batting now to last me a while.  50 yards of batting will make about 15 quilts. 

Now, I'm not super woman.  I do have a full time job teaching high school.  I do get migraines almost every day, but find that quilting actually helps take my mind off them.  If I sit around feeling sorry for myself, they are worse, so you will be helping me out. 

I am the area coordinator for Binky Patrol and do a lot of quilting for local kids, kids far away and for specific needs that arise.  I won't be able to quilt 100 quilts a month for MHC, but would love to help anyone out who wants to make some quilts and just hasn't because you didn't have a way to finish them off.

I don't have a quilting business because I don't want to have to deal with the taxes and money stuff.  So, I'm not trying to get rich here :)  I just love quilting and love MHC.

So, contact me for my address and let me know you will be sending me some quilt tops and/or batting and/or backing fabric.  I'm excited to get started.  Once I have about 15 quilts done, I will get them in the mail.  Much cheaper to mail a big old box standard shipping than to mail them individually.  I have 5 or 6 done already of my own, but would love to put yours in there too.

3 comments:

Shanna said...

You are fantastic to do this!!

New Salem Homestead said...

I love that you are doing this. I do have a top that was made for a pattern test that I can send you. Please email me your address. jletus1051@aol.com. I will dig around today to see if I have anything for the back or binding.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Are you still quilting tops for MHC? I love sending things to them . . . I don't know how many or how often I'll have one ready, but I'd love to add you to my list of resource folks if you are still doing this!