Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Great quilt day and Project Pearls meet up

 Today was an awesome Quilt Day.  My little guy even sewed a seam on a quilt the last 5 minutes of the day.  Hey, it's a start.  He helped cut the strips for a jelly roll quilt from the leftover 2 1/2 inch pieces I've had laying around forever.  He got bored playing games on the ipad and finally, after eating almost all the strawberries in the bowl decided he could give this sewing thing a try.
I think he had fun and may give it a try again.
 There were lots of new ladies and we accomplished a lot.
 This gorgeous tumbler quilt top was put together with 9 1/2 inch blocks it goes together quickly.
 The teens who showed up cut flannel squares out of the new rag die which I love.  When those quilts are sewn together, they are finished.  What's not to love about that?
 And can you believe it?  Carla actually sat down to sew!  That's a rare sight.  That woman is so busy she rarely gets time to sit.
 Here's a picture of me and Melissa, the founder of Project Pearls.  She drove out from San Jose to pick up 30 quilts which she will take to the Philippines on April 29 to hand out to the kids.  I'm so happy to have found this great organization and to partner with them.  She is such a beautiful lady and yes, I am a giant!
 Look, Carla is still sitting down.  I had to take another picture.  It's such a rare sight, I wasn't sure I would see it again.
 And one more just to make sure I wasn't dreaming :)
 More kids cutting with the Accuquilt Studio cutter.  They did such a great job with that cutter today and worked through a huge stack of flannel.
We even had an adult using the strip dies to cut more pieces for more jelly roll quilts.  We are always working on the next project.  Of course, I still have to unload my car.  That's the worse part about quilt day.  Good thing I have 4 more days of vacation.  Oh, and I still have papers to grade.  Let's not talk about that just yet.

No comments: