Monday, July 14, 2014

The heat is on!!

 Plans today included finishing cleaning up the sewing and quilting rooms (front living room and dining room for normal people!) but it's supposed to be 103 outside.  The buckets of fabric need to go out to the shed and my shoulder is killing me again.  It has to be from lifting and moving all the heavy buckets in the shed so I'm trying to not do as much today.  Yeah, like that's going to happen.  I hate sitting around when there are things to be done and quilts to be made!  So, I'm stacking up buckets and hoping when my son wakes up, he will take pity on me and move the buckets tonight when it gets cooler.
 I've got to take a trip to the post office as well and that will happen soon too.  I'm working through the quilts and backing quickly.  It's nice to be able to go to the stack and pull a quilt and have the backing ready to go as well.  Then, once the quilt is done, I just go to the super size 9 patches and see what else I can get done to finish off the backing fabric.  One more for this long piece of backing.  Then, I will have to start sewing some of the bigger backing pieces together for the bigger quilts.  That will slow me down a bit.  I had better hurry before my friend's mom finishes up her vacation.  Her brother is vising now and they are traveling all over California.  Once she is back to sewing, I will be buried in quilt tops again!  I can almost see the end of the pile.  Of course when I run out, Carla has a big pile at her house, so there really is no end in sight.

I have to share this verse from the Bible that has me thinking.  I'm going through something here lately and had to get this out of my head and onto 'paper'.  Not that it will change things around here, but it will make me feel better anyways :)

1 John 3:18New International Version (NIV)

18 Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.

To me, love has always been an action verb.  My family growing up never used the words, I love you, but love was always shown.  I always felt loved and knew that I was safe and loved.  Too many times people throw around the word love, but never actually know what it means.  It's important to me to actually 'do' love and not just say it, especially to my own family.  For me, quilts are a tangible way of giving love to another person.  They are a way of taking time, fabric and some effort and turning that into something another person can hold onto when they are scared or hurting.

Telling someone you care about them, but then not actually doing something for them, when you have the ability to make a difference, doesn't make sense to me.  Let me show you through my actions that I love you, rather than say it a thousand times.

No comments: