Saturday, January 11, 2014

See what you can do in a day?

 I loaded this one on Thursday evening and started quilting it Friday morning before school.  I have about an hour after I get the first crew out the door in the morning and before I have to get out the door myself.  I am the first one up in the morning.  I eat breakfast, check email, get myself ready and then wake everyone else up.  That way, I get my me time in before I have to help everyone else out of the house.  I need that hour to figure out what my day will be like before everyone else places demands on me or I'm pretty grumpy the rest of the day.  Then, once everyone else is gone, I have an hour with the little guy to make sure he has breakfast, is dressed, gets the reading from the night before written down for homework and we can head out the door.  In that hour, there is usually about half of it spent waiting to go.  Inbetween getting things ready and making lunches, I have time to roll the quilt and push the buttons.  I got this quilt about half done and then finished it up after school.  I didn't get home until about 5 last night because I'm going to be out several days next week.  It always takes so long to write up sub plans.  It's much easier to just be in school than to take a day off.
 After dinner, I loaded this Quick stippie and quilted it with a simple pattern.  I added borders to it because the backing fabric is 60 inches wide and I didn't want to waste such wide fabric and batting.  Sometimes these quilts come out so long and skinny and adding the side borders evens them out and makes them a little better for the bigger kids.  The quilting pattern looks a bit like dinosaur footprints, but I think it is supposed to be a leaf.  Either way, it was quick and I was able to get two quilts done in a day.  It is nice when there is a long bunch of backing and batting loaded up and you just have to throw one quilt top after another onto the machine.  Not too much thinking involved.  I really do need to call my binding buddies though.  The quilts are starting to stack up around here and I have several places needing quilts.

1 comment:

KaHolly said...

You accomplish more than me and I am only responsible for myself. I left teaching years ago and have my day to myself, too, yet it seems I got more done when I was working.