Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Now it is summer

Today was my son's last day of school. What a day! They had field day and I volunteered to help out with his class. We got there at 9am and stayed until 3. If I could find a way to capture the energy of 5 year olds, I could not only solve the world's energy crisis, but the California budget crisis as well! And, I could quit my job and make quilts all day and night.

I helped make hot dogs, get the food ready and set up the tables. I was outside, getting the food set up and there was a mom standing around not doing anything. I told her that she was going to be in charge of scooping the beans. She looked at me and asked if I was a teacher or if I worked there. I said, no, I'm just a mom and she said, OH. Like, who are you to tell me what to do. Well, lady, if you are just standing around, you are going to be working! I get a little bossy like that sometimes because as a teacher, I'm so used to telling people what to do that I forget to turn off the 'teacher mode'. The preschool teachers thought I was pretty funny to be taking over like that and really liked the 'help' getting the other parents involved. One of the teachers had to run two stations because the parents that were supposed to help out just wanted to sit down and not do anything. If I had known about that one, I would have taken care of it :)

After the big lunch, I read to the kids and the teachers were in the back saying how much they loved having someone come in and read stories to the kids. I miss that the most, not teaching 1st grade anymore. I used to read at least 30 minutes every day to my students and just loved reading books and stories. The kids wanted me to keep going, but we ran out of books. When I taught 1st grade, I had over 3,000 books in my classroom. I got rid of most of them last summer :( But, I still probably have 500 or so in the garage. This summer I have to get those out and into the house so I can read them to my little one--or better yet, have him read them to me!

Then, it was time for games. I was in charge of the monkey bars. The kids stayed at each station for 10 minutes. I helped a lot of kids try the monkey bars and a couple got pretty good after some encouragement. I didn't tell them how, when I was 5, I broke my arm on the monkey bars. That probably would have stopped a couple of them from trying. But that cast came in handy for bopping my sister on the head and getting what I wanted for 6 weeks. Oh, those were the days.

Then, it was more playing and another snack and time to go home.

Here is the quilt I made yesterday and this morning for the room mom for one of the preschool classes. I have more squares and am going to make quilts for the three teachers my son had this year. Just not in a day. I like making quick quilts, but not when I have a deadline to get them done. I was up at 6 this morning and did the quilting and binding from 7-8:30 before we had to be at school this morning.

Here is the quilt from Monday. I am a day behind on quilting and several days behind on binding. Now that summer is officially here, I can get busy again.

Tomorrow is doctor appointments for the boys to get shots for kinder and Jr. High and then I'm FREE. FREE I say! At least for a couple of minutes until someone else has a plan for me.

Oh, well, such is the life of a mother/wife/teacher/quilter :) Wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: