Sunday, November 16, 2014

Great Binky Patrol day

 We had a great day at Binky today with some high school kids showing up to help cut Christmas Stockings and sort buckets of donated fabric.  They got through 5 buckets of fabric and ended up cutting most of it into useable pieces that will hopefully get sewn into quilt tops by the next meeting.  Of course that means I better get busy quilting up those tops.
 We had some new volunteers show up too.  I love it when new people show up to help out and they stick around for the whole time.  Most are amazed at how great the Accuquilt studio cutter is.
 It cuts up to 10 layers of fabric at a time and makes perfect pieces.  I love using it with the teenagers because they don't cut their fingers off and you don't have to worry about them not measuring accurately.  Every piece comes out perfect.
 We have a large selection of dies now and each person grabbed a different die and started layering fabric on top.  with the two cutters, they took turns sharing and we were able to get so much done in just 3 hours.
 I'm betting we got over 500 stockings cut out from the one bucket of Christmas fabric.  I will send those home with my former student and have her mom sew them.  I don't think we need any more for this year, but it will be nice to have some ready for next year.

 The girl wearing the flower apron is the sister of last year's president.  He used to find all the partially sewn clothes and I told her she must carry on the tradition.  She found this dress that was cut out but not sewn so she put it on and wore it until it got annoying.  I sent her brother a picture and he said he wore the dresses much better.  I think he misses coming to the sew days.  The lady in pink is their mom and she had planned to just drop a bunch of the kids off, but when she saw us having so much fun, she stayed the whole time and helped out a lot.

I feel energized after a day like today.  I only wish I didn't have to go to work tomorrow.  I came home with a car full of buckets with fabric.  I was supposed to drop them all off at my friend Nancy's house, but I went to watch my son's Robotic's team first.  It got late and I decided I had better come home and make dinner instead of unloading the car.  There's always tomorrow for that.  My house is clean now that everything is in the car.  I'm enjoying the open space.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Awesome work as always my dear!!