Saturday, November 22, 2014

Choosing a quilting design

Here's number 7 of 45 and I thought I'd share with you how I choose a quilting design for the quilts.  Not sure if you were wondering or not, but sometimes that can cause me to stall on getting a quilt done.

The first thing I do is look at the fabric and see if I have something in the 100 or so different robotic pantographs that matches.  If it is a flower print, most likely I have a design that will match pretty well.  I have several roses, some leaf patterns, some generic flower, many that are simple and a few that are really detailed.  Some go quickly and others will take an hour to stitch out a row.  If it is a quilt for charity, I will go with one of the more simple designs.  The simple designs leave the quilt softer and more cuddly.  The more complex designs leave the quilts stiffer.  Plus, I can get three quilts done in the time it would take to get one quilt done with the more complex design.

Of course, if the quilt is for a specific person, I usually have them pick out the design they like.

I have quite a few animal designs and if there are animals in the fabric, I try to match those.  If it is for a boy, I try to go with a geometric design from squares to circles to stars.

But sometimes I get stuck and can't decide on a design.  Those are the times I have to step away for a bit and come back later.  Sometimes I will search my favorite digital design shop
www.intelligentquilting.com
They have a daily deal where they put one design on sale every day for 50% off and you know I'm checking that every day to see if it is something I 'need'.  I've built up my digital library over the past year to include some great patterns.

I've also designed many of my own quilting designs using the quilt program that came with my machine.  I'm getting better at making my designs smoother.  You can find all of the ones I've design in the link at the top of my blog.  If you need them in a different format, just let me know.  I can save them several different ways.  My machine just uses them in the format I've saved them in.

I try not to let the quilting design stop me from quilting.  There are many places to get stalled in finishing up a quilt.  It doesn't have to be perfect.  Sometimes done is best.

1 comment:

Farm Quilter said...

I agree, sometimes done is best!! I hand-guide my longarm and all I can ever "see" for 99% of the quilts that I quilt are custom patterns!! I think I need to invest in IQ just so I could "see" some more E2E patterns and get my quilts done faster!! Of course, the one quilt that I did part of the quilting on my friend's LA with IQ ended up having over 150 hours in the quilting!! Amazing how long it can take when you are doing custom quilting with IQ!! I did 8 days of 10-12 hours a day using her LA and getting what I needed done with her IQ! Brought that baby home and kept on custom quilting with rulers, etc! My daughter ended up loving her wedding quilt, so it was worth while! Too bad my friend lives in Florida while I live in Washington state!!!