Saturday, November 27, 2010

My other life



So, most of you know I'm a full time high school science teacher by day. I didn't start out that way. When I was 5 years old, sitting on the swing in my backyard, I declared for the whole world to hear that I was going to be a veterinarian. I had animals of all kinds growing up. My poor mother put up with snail hunts and jars of creepy crawlies coming home on a daily basis. My dad built an aviary that hung from my bedroom window and I had lots of different birds. I remember a dove that we caught because it was hurt. I had heard the saying, If you love something let it go and it it doesn't return to you, it was never really yours to begin with. I let the dove go and guess what? It flew away. My dad came home from work and I was crying because my pet dove was sitting on the wires by my house laughing at me for being so foolish.
I had a dog that my mother swore would never come into the house. Well, she got out and ran back to her original owner and they let her in the backyard until we got home. She had grown up with the other dogs there, but they didn't want anything to do with her and chewed her up. So, after a bunch of stitches, she became an indoor dog. She had a couple litters of puppies and we kept one of them and then we had two indoor dogs.
I researched all of the colleges and found out that UC Davis was the only school on the West coast to have a Veterinary college and so that's where I went for undergrad. After meeting my husband and getting married I changed my mind and decided to get a teaching credential. I wanted to spend more time with my family and have summers off. I started teaching elementary school and spent 10 years teaching 1st grade. Then, a position opened in high school and I made the switch. I've spent the last 10 years teaching high school science and loving most of it. The only part I really HATE is grading on my vacation.

So, this is how I'm spending at least a part of my day today. Grading lab books. I have two boxes of them and I'm done with the first one. I'm trying to get through them as fast as I can so I can do something else that is fun. I'm working on trying to get a few done, fill up the fishtank that either has a really slow leak or evaporates very quickly and am also watching a quilting DVD. It is Patsy Thompson's Fun with Feathers. I've watched it several times and can do feathers ok, but would like to be a feather queen. It will just take more practice.

Back to work. My other box of lab books and whole pile of papers are calling me. Ugh.

1 comment:

Barb said...

I admire those that teach school and science to boot!! Hope you got everything done and are now enjoying the rest of your time off.