Saturday, June 9, 2012

Boston Blocks quilt begins

My Boston Blocks spin the opposite direction of the ones I printed, but I guess that's ok as long as nobody knows any better :)

I tell you that the math in quilting is going to do me in.  I am so thankful that Accuquilt has done most of the math for me.  The half square triangles are already cut and ready to go together with the little dog ears cut off, but those quarter square triangles gave me some troubles.  I cut a whole bunch of 3 1/2 inch half square triangles thinking if I need 6 inch finished blocks, you just put the 3 inch ones together to get the 6 inch ones.  WRONG!  They are the wrong kind of triangles.  So, then, I know I had a chart printed out somewhere for how much bigger to cut the triangles if you wanted to make quarter square triangles.  I know I could have gone back on the computer, done a search and figured it out again, but no, I tried the sew and try method.  Not such a great idea.  Two 6 1/2 inch triangles, cut in half will not give you the size you need.

I finally guessed to cut 7 1/4 inch squares, cut those into 4 triangles and then sew them back together and I get the smaller triangles I need to match up to the 6 1/2 inch half square triangles. 

I guess I should have done this on a day I didn't have a migraine, but I'm not sure what day that would be.

This quilt will be for my mother-in-law who has a mass in her stomach.  From my husband's brother who lives with her, she isn't doing well.  She has lost 10% of her body weight in the last month and is really in a lot of pain.  She finally went into the doctor to have the endoscopy and they found the mass and took a biopsy.  They have scheduled a CT scan for Monday and she will find out the results of both next week.

Her favorite color is purple and she loves music and cats.  I found the black fabric at the quilt shop.  One has musical notes and the other cats.  This quilt will be gorgeous when finished and I need to get busy working.  I've just had the worst migraine all day today.

Now that I have the block figured out, things should go a lot quicker.

No comments: