Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Quilting bobbin thread

what do you use for bobbin thread?  I've gone through a few phases in my 3 years of quilting.  First, I used whatever thread I had on hand.  Regular sewing thread goes quickly in the bobbin of a quilting machine and you end up stopping several times in a small quilt to change out the bobbin.

Then, I switched to 70 weight thread, also known as lengerie thread, or underwear thread, because it is so thin and is used when making undergarmets.  It goes a LOOOOOOng way when used as a bobbin thread, but is pretty expensive.  I would buy a whole bunch when it was on sale at JoAnn's for 50% off and could get 18 bobbins out of a spool.  That was 18 quilts worth for about $5.  Not too bad.

 But, then I discovered serger thread.  I was a bit skeptical at first because everything I read about it made it seem like serger thread was a lower quality thread.  My friend Rhoda uses serger thread for everything.  She pieces with it, she uses it for binding so I thought, well, I will give it a try for the bobbin thread.  I don't know what weight it is, but I would guess 60 weight.  It is a lighter weight thread than regular piecing thread or so it seems because it goes further when used in the bobbin.  It comes in lots of colors, not as many as regular thread, but enough so you can match to most backing fabrics and when it is on sale, you can get a cone for $1.  Like this week at JoAnn's.  So, I bought a whole bunch and now am winding bobbins for a quilting marathon the rest of the week.  I think I need more bobbins.

I haven't had any troubles with it breaking any more often than any other types of threads and it holds up well to washing.  Maybe it won't last 100 years, but I don't think any of my quilts will last that long anyways.  The quilts I make are meant to be used and loved and worn out.  So far, they are doing just that.

3 comments:

shannon said...

i use serger thread in my longarm....no problems. i use Maxi-Lock which is made by Superior Threads. i have a resource where i can buy the cones at retail for almost the same as wholesale.

quiltaholic said...

I also use serger thread for quilting, without any problems. Maxilock even comes in varigated colors, which make me happy :)

Lori said...

I have been using Permacore--its cheap and quilts nicely. I order from Dallas Thread Co. They sent me a huge 3 page color chart. I have less lint with this too. I usually use the same thread top and bottom. Sometimes different colors--but all seems to work well. I've also used King Tut, Signature, and YLI.