Saturday, April 28, 2012

Proud of this one

A friend at work is retiring and loves to fish.  I knew I had to make him a quilt.  I looked for a fishing themed quilt pattern and even ordered one but when it got here it was paper pieced.  Yikes!  I've never done a paper pieced pattern before.  So, instead of trying that, I designed this!.  I've never made a quilt set on point before either.  SO, for the first quilt I've ever made set on point and to have to design it with the tshirt in the middle and have to figure out how to get the fish to fit around the outside of that, to say it was a challenge is an understatement!

I thought I could write up a tutorial for this pattern, but, well, let's just say I didn't do things in a traditional way.  There are some things in this quilt that the quilt police might not be too happy about.  In the end, the quilt turned out just the way I had pictured it in my mind's eye and I'm so proud of it.  I can't wait to finish it up this weekend and gift it in a couple of weeks.  For me the hardest part about quilting is holding onto a quilt until it is time to give it away.  I love making the quilt and giving it away as soon as it is done.

Out of th 9 quilts I need to finish by the end of the year, this makes #2. No time to rest!

3 comments:

Carla said...

LOVE IT!!!

auntdebbiequilts said...

Great job, Marilyn! He'll love it. I don't quilt the usual way, and I'd certainly be arrested by the quilt police. Keep breaking the rules. We'll serve time together.

Jennie P. said...

Awesome quilt! I love the simple, stylistic fish. Are those air bubbles I see? How very neat! :)