Friday, June 7, 2013

Making summer lists

 I'm taking piles of fabric, sewing it together into really long pieces and loading it onto the quilting frame for backing fabrics.  I plan to quilt like there is no tomorrow.  I have two boxes of the super size 9 patches to go through first.  Those can be done with the regular width of fabric and batting and can be done one right after another.  I started with the reds pile at the top of the stairs.  You would think I could move my shoes out of the way of the picture, but hey, you know...
 Then, I have two clothes racks of quilt tops that need quilting.  I will start pulling backing fabrics for these as I sort and organize my overstuffed shelves.  I have some boxes of fabrics in the garage too.  I'm hoping to get all of these quilt tops done this summer and make room on the shelves for more fabric.  Who thinks I can do this?  Ok, stop laughing!
 Then, I also plan to work through these buckets of fabrics and look at all of my projects.  I have lots of projects that are stalled for one reason or another.  I'm just going to pick a bucket, dig through it and see why stuff is in there.  There are string blocks, scraps, turning twenty partially done quilts, half square triangles and lots of fat quarters.  While I love the idea of fat quarters, I don't like working with them.  Those will be cut up into 3 1/2 inch strips and made into quilts for our returning wounded soldiers.  The kids and I are going to be baking goodies for them on Saturdays.  I have a friend who visits them every Saturday as they come through Travis Air Force Base and I offered to help out.  She has a brigade of ladies who help her and they like to take vacations in the summer.   I have lots of time in the summer and I've discovered the love of baking (and eating) home made goodies.  So have my kids, especially the little guy.  My older son has promised me sewing time this summer and wants to help the wounded soldiers so he will be baking and sewing right along with me!  How cool is that?  I bet I can recruit a couple other kids to help out.  Carla has a daughter who just might like to make quilts and cookies and now that I'm in charge of the National Honor Society, I have a whole crew of kids looking for volunteer hours.  I'm be teaching them to sew this summer and putting them to work.

This is going to be a great, productive summer! 




No comments: