Wednesday, November 12, 2008

upside down quilt


Ok, so the picture has nothing to do with anything, but these were in my yard last year and I love them. And I am too lazy to go find the camera to upload the real pictures that go with today's writing. And I love these flowers.
Yesterday I got the 2nd quilt done for the Veteran's dinner. I was so proud that I actually got two quilts done this time. I started them on Saturday and finished them on Tuesday. Not bad.
Here's the bad part. The first quilt was going along just great. I was quilting it with a simple meander and some loops and stars and then I got to the end and there was this nice red square at the very end of the quilt. It was perfect for writing a word in it. So, I decided to write the word Freedom in the red box. Great, everything looked so good and I was all done. I unpinned the quilt and then realized that by writing the word, I had made the back fabric upside down from the front! Argh. Ugh, ick. So, what to do? Unstitch the word and re-do it? Leave it as is and don't say anything? Hide the quilt in the closet?
I decided on option 2. I just called it my 'ode to the Amish' Veterans Day quilt. I have a lot of Ode to the Amish quilts around here. Legend goes they purposely put a mistake in each of their quilts because only God is perfect. Well, I'm very far from perfect that's for sure.
Of course, you can only tell the quilt is upside down if you are looking at both sides at the same time, which I think is impossible to do. Or, you have too much time on your hands.
The second quilt, I decided not to get fancy on and just quilted it with loops and meanders. That one turned out nice too.
Then, I graded lab books for 5 hours. No more playing for me. Oh, and I had the cleaning lady over in the morning for about 4 hours. The kitchen and bathrooms look great :)

1 comment:

Lori in South Dakota said...

I agree--too much time on your hands!! ROFL I doubt anyone will EVER notice which way the writing goes!