Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I voted

I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed. I was hoping for the long lines and waiting for my turn to cast my ballot as a citizen of the USA. I even brought along some knitting that I leave in my car to work on for those long unexpected wait times. When I drove up to the school, there were lots of people outside, so I figured there were lines coming out the door. Turns out, there were just lots of lost people who didn't have a clue where they were supposed to go to vote. I don't get that! How can you not know where your polling place is?

So, I went inside and they sent me to the wrong table. I figured I had a 1 in 4 chance of just guessing and that was the table I went to last time, so I just went where they told me. Nope, it was on the other side of the room. I got my ballots (yes, in California, we had so many initiatives, they gave us two!) and actually got to sit down at a desk with my ballots and a manilla folder to hide my answers. At first, nobody was there to peek, but then the line started to form and I had to put my folder up like I was in 1st grade so nobody could see what I was marking. There were so many choices! I had to double check my answers to make sure I hadn't marked the wrong guy.

Not that it matters in California who I picked for President...

But then there was measure T. I remember the signs...Ask a Farmer...Vote ________on T.

But, I couldn't remember what went in the ______. That one took me a while to figure out. I had to read it over and over to remember if I wanted to vote yes or no! Why don't I write these things down?

Two of my 'friends' are running, one for school board and one for Supervisor. I really have no idea what a supervisor does...I guess he supervises things, but he is a really nice guy and his kids are nice too so I voted for him. I have both of their signs in my front yard. I've never had yard signs before, but since I know both of these men personally, I decided to get their signs and put them up. I have no idea if it changed anyone's mind or not, but hey, it was cool! And I will save them for the next election too. I will put them up even if these guys aren't running and see what people think ;)

I'm just glad this whole thing is almost over. My students have really been into arguing politics and they really don't know what they are talking about!

1 comment:

Delighted Hands said...

If the kids don't know what they are talking about; they will make typical American voters! I was disappointed that there wasn't long lines, too-the early voting did the trick I guess.