Sunday, November 2, 2008

Extra Hour Quilt


What did you do with your extra hour this weekend? I made this quilt! Well, it took a little more than an hour, but I decided that since I had that extra hour, I would NOT spend it grading papers, but doing something I enjoy instead. One of the preschool teachers at my son's school has a grandbaby who is about 2 pounds now. She was born very premature and is still in the hospital. I think she is almost a month old now. I decided she needed a quilt to help her grow faster and I had all of these leftover pieces from the 4 preschool quilts I made for his class. So, I just started sewing them together. I didn't have a pattern really.


Each of the strips is 3 1/2 inches wide. Since they are leftover pieces, each one is a different length. Some are just a few inches and some are almost 30 inches long. I just sewed them end to end until I had a really long piece. I ironed them and then cut 3o inch pieces. I randomly sewed them together and then sewed the inner border which is 2 1/2 inches and the outer border which is 4 inches. I think I could have done a little better job if I had a design wall to lay everything out so none of the colors would have touched, but I like the randomness of it as well and the bright colors make me happy. I know the teacher will love it and that is what counts. Done is better than perfect! Besides, I don't have room for a design wall anywhere in the house. I've looked...unless I take things off the wall in my daughter who went to college's room...hmmm...now you have me thinking. A little bit of felt, a few thumbtacks. Stay tuned. We may have something here.

6 comments:

Bonnie said...

Hey Marilyn: Regarding the dreaded lab book grading (I feel your pain... but I retired from education and am pain free... at least that particular pain, now if I could just get my shoulder to feel fabulous..) Sorry, I got sidetracked there. How about insisting students put a sticky note in their lab books where the particular lab starts, have them leave part sticking out of the book. Voila -- you know where to go. Heck, you could give them the sticky note. I'm sure it would be worth your time! And, for incentive -- an extra point or something like that. Make your life easier, you deserve it! Bonnie

Lori in South Dakota said...

Finished is ALWAYS better than perfect! Its wonderful and I am sure will be very appreciated.

Cher said...

goes to show you what some time and creative thought can produce! very fun little quilt

Gabriele said...

What a fun little quit! I'm sure it'll be very much appreciated.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a sweet quilt. I am sure it will help hew grow bigger!

Kathie said...

Another gorgeous quilt. It is amazing how many of them you are able to make.
Blessings to you from Costa Rica