Thursday, July 25, 2013

I LOVE string quilts

This one gave me a bit of troubles.  I ran out of backing fabric one row short of the end of the quilt, which is going to be ok because the last row has a square with issues.  One of the middle strings isn't sewn down correctly and will need some major surgery to make it right.  I will have to unassemble it and sew it back together and sew will either just take the last row of blocks off, or find some new backing fabric and quilt that last row on the sit down machine.  Either way, that is a project for tomorrow.  I knew I should have measured the backing fabric that was left on the machine before starting quilting, but thought it would make it and most of the time I guess right.

I just love the look of string quilts and they are so thrifty, using up the last bits of goodness from other projects.  I need to make a few more of these as my strings buckets are getting to be overflowing.  I think I will invite Rebecca over to do some quilting while I work on another string quilt soon.  Multi tasking at its best!

2 comments:

Carla said...

When I load yards and yards of backing on the frame, I pin a bright yellow ribbon on the edge of the backing at 60" from the bottom. This way I can see when I am getting close and how much backing I have left.

Nancy said...

I've been saving my edges to use in string quilts. One of these days I'll get that project started as well. Looks great!