Tuesday, July 30, 2013

I'm caught up with my goal, now to get ahead

 you never know what tomorrow will bring, so when I get the chance to catch up, I will take it.  I have so many projects waiting to get done, I'm procrastinating by quilting these quick quilts.  I'm also trying not to get stressed out with all the changes at my school that are waiting for me when I get back.  Every day there is someone else leaving.  I feel like the pirates on the sinking ship (our mascot is the Viking) who don't realize the ship is sinking.  All the rats are jumping off and swimming for shore and we are singing and dancing and celebrating.  There will be about 15 new staff members this year out of about 100.  That's a huge turnover and there are a lot of reasons that all make a lot of sense, some for shorter travel, some moved positions (into administration, making room for a new teacher or counselor) some retired, some changed schools within district or to a different local district, some just got out of teaching all together, but it makes for an uneasy start to the year.  Change is good right?  Uncertainty causes growth.  I will have to step into a leadership position this year and pray I can handle the new role with patience, compassion and maturity.  There will not be a pay increase, but a work load increase so I hope I can still find time for quilting.  I'm trying to get a class period off for quilting, but I'm not exactly sure how to approach the principal with my idea.  Stress management?  School beautification?  Life skills?  Just cuz I really want to still have time to do what I love and keep my sanity?  Maybe if I bring my quilting machine to the first three days of inservice and she sees just how much I can multi-task, she will let me keep it in my classroom and I can teach and quilt at the same time.  I could get the students to quilt inbetween doing their work.  Yeah, that would work.  I could teach them a skill they could really use after graduation.  :) You know I'm only partially joking here right?  Anybody got a pause button on time?  If only...


1 comment:

Quiltingranny said...

My high school mascot was also a Viking. Tell her you are going to have the students help make charity quilts and this will go towards their volunteer service!