Thursday, June 16, 2016

Non returnable gifts

 My children have started their vacations.  The house is quiet again. I drove my daughter to the San Francisco airport this morning.  There is a reason we don't use that airport, even though it is usually much cheaper to fly into and out of it instead of the Sacramento airport.  It took us 2 1/2 hours to drive there this morning and only took me 1 1/4 hours to get home.  We sat at the bridge toll for over 30 minutes today.  I have a wonderful knack of picking the slowest lane.  Today I picked the lane that everyone wanted to cut into because they either didn't realize their lane was the Fast Track, or knew I was too nice to crash into their car and would let them cut in front of me.  I seriously have to look into getting Fast Track for the 7 times a year I go over a toll bridge.  I have no idea how much it would cost, but whatever the money, it would be worth my time and leg cramp.
 After coming back, the plumber came right on time to install the new garbage disposal.  It's a good thing I had someone come out to do it.  I've put on in before in our old house and I know I could have done it, but it was so nice to just sit on the couch and listen as he hammered away at the old one.  It was so rusted in place he had a really hard time getting it out.  The last guy who installed it didn't do a very good job and left out some parts and that's probably why it started leaking.  I think it was only a couple of years ago when we had it replaced.  I got a smaller one-a Badger 5 only a 1/2 horsepower, which means I have to quit putting everything down the drain.  I know better, but it's so easy and such a habit to just throw all the food scraps into the drain instead of into the trash.  When my class took a tour of the wastewater treatment plant, they told us not to put food scraps down the drain.  I thought they would get composted, but they said they just end up having to do more work to get them out of the water before sending the water back into the bay.  Egg shells are the worst because they don't decompose and the can really wreck your garbage disposal.  Potato peels have clogged my drain more than once and I've learned how to clean out the trap from the outside, saving a few late night house calls from the 24 hour plumber.
 My son made it to Hawaii safely after giving me a bit of a scare.  He told me his flight left at 6am and I figured he's be there by noon, so when it was 2pm and I still hadn't heard from him I started checking the news to see if any planes had crashed.  I was texting and calling him with no response.  Turns out they left at 9am and got in a 3.  It really helps to have the correct information.

My dogs must have realized that I was having a really down day, after the kids left.  I was really tired and took a nap. When I got up, I found this wonderful gift on the living room carpet.  Aren't they just the sweetest things?  Yep, a dead baby squirrel.  When I got home from the airport, they were in the backyard fussing over something and I guess they finally got him.  Thanks guys for trying to cheer me up, but you really shouldn't have.  At least they didn't drop it on me while I was sleeping.

No comments: