Sunday, June 26, 2016

memory quilt

 This is a memory quilt for a former student whose mother committed suicide last summer.  Memory quilts are hard to make, not because they are difficult skill wise, but because I'm always afraid that the recipient won't like the finished product.  I've never had anyone say they don't like their finished quilt, so I don't know why I worry, but it takes me forever to plan out what I am going to do with the pieces of clothing that are given to me.  This time I was only given three t shirts and some fabric.
The student's favorite color is purple, so I made a bunch of purple hearts.  The red fabric and the black fabric with the egyptian dogs was part of the gifted fabric.  The backing was also gifted-a dress and some more fabric.  The three t shirts are there, plus two pieces from the backs which I joined together to make the fourth panel.  There is a graduation party this afternoon so I had a deadline for the quilt.  I had planned to start it last week and then every day I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do for the quilt.  Thursday rolled around and I finally cut the t shirts.  I sewed the hearts on Friday and Saturday and then Saturday I finished the top and quilted it and this morning put the binding on and made the label.

I had this student 3 of her 4 years at my high school, 2 as a student in class and one as a Teaching Assistant and we spent a lot of time talking about things that were going on in her family.  She's almost like another adopted daughter so I feel blessed to be able to do this for her.  She didn't have a mom growing up because he mom left the family when she was really little and she finally reached out when this student was in high school, which was good, but hard and then to lose her again was really rough.

No comments: