Monday, June 20, 2016

ew, gross

When the plumber was out to fix the garbage disposal, he gave me a coupon for $100 off a new water heater.  I knew out water heater was coming upon its last days because it is as old as the house, which was built in 1993.  He said not to replace it until it starts to leak.  Today when I was cleaning out the garage, I got enough stuff moved from in front of the water heater to see that sure enough, it is leaking and has been for quite some time.  There's some pretty mold growing around the base of the heater.

I had a handyman coming to look at some other repair jobs and while he was here, I had him look at this and he says it needs replacing.

The other things are the front door, which opens if you lift the handle up, but not down-he says it wasn't installed correctly, the sliding glass door, which only slides if you are HULK with super human strength, the drywall in the ceiling from an old ceiling leak, some more drywall replaced in the garage-both from a roof leak and from critters-either rats or squirrels eating their way into the walls and the garage door, which won't open because those same critters ate their way into the wires of the opener.

We also need a few of the smoke detectors replaced since they are falling apart.  We have some new ones, but the ones that are hardwired into the house have seen better days.

I guess I had better start doing research into water heaters now!

No comments: