Monday, June 13, 2016

A story of Adoption

About 3 weeks ago, my husband mentions that he thinks it would be a good idea if we adopt.  You know, as in a child.  Adoption is something I've always wanted to do.  As a teacher, I see how many kids are out there without parents.  I have one or two almost every year who are in foster care and probably several who have been adopted.  I've always and forever wanted 7 kids, so when my husband mentioned that he was thinking of adding to our family, I started things in motion.  I started asking my friends who have adopted which organizations they went through and asked them their stories.  I contacted a couple of local agencies.  The first one to call me back was Families First http://emqff.org/

I set up an appointment to meet with one of the social workers. My husband wasn't quite sure what hit him.  His one comment about the idea of adoption turned into a full force crazy train!

We had our meeting today and things went so well.  We were sent home with a packet of papers to fill out and fingerprints to get and a CPR class to sign up for.  He already has his CPR certification from being a tennis coach.

The next steps are to get the house cleaned out.  Panic sets in because there is just too much stuff here.  It's one thing having too much stuff and having your own kids, but having too much stuff and asking to take care of other people's kids is something totally different.  I guess the state has standards of what is acceptable and having to walk around buckets of fabric isn't good.

My normal way of cleaning is to throw everything into a bucket and throw that into the garage.  Then, the goal is to go through the stuff in the garage later.  However, later never comes and the house fills up again and now the garage is full.

So, looks like I will be making lots of trips to the thrift store and finally letting go of the excess to make room for what is important.

I appreciate your prayers as we begin this journey and look forward to the blessings God has for us.

James 1:27New International Version (NIV)

27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

2 comments:

KaHolly said...

How exciting! This will be a fun journey to accompany you on! Good luck! XO

Farm Quilter said...

Being adopted myself, your story really warms my heart!! It is such a blessing for children to know that they are wanted and loved unconditionally. I have friends who are in the process of adopting two girls - teenaged sisters! I can't wait to watch your story play out! I'll be praying for you all.