Sunday, December 1, 2013

not my usual style

But I kind of like it.  This quilt uses the Accuquilt Studio tumbler die, 6 1/2 inch and 4 fabrics.  Each fabric is 1 yard, except the giraffe is 2 1/2 yards since there is an extra repeat on the end as well as the top and bottom border.  There are 13 tumblers across and 13 rows up and down.  I thought it would come out too square, but with the 4 1/2 inch top and bottom border, the quilt is just perfect.  I'm going to quilt it with a giraffe face and hope to get it finished up today or tomorrow.  It is for a former student who has tried to commit suicide twice now.  I had her for two years and she is really a nice kid.  She suffers from migraine headaches and like me, the doctors really aren't doing much for her.  Because of the headaches and not getting help, she has some major depression issues.  It's pretty frustrating at my age, but I can only imagine being 16 and having to go through this.  People look at me like I'm crazy because you can't see a headache and they just expect you to deal with it.  Sure, ok, no problem.  Both times she overdosed on pain meds so I'm not really sure she was trying to end things, just end the pain.  Anyways, I hope the quilt lets her know she isn't alone.  We've talked a lot about her migraines and other things she is going through and I told her next time to just call me instead of trying to fix herself.  I hope she knows she is loved.