Monday, December 30, 2013

getting close to a finish

The end is near for this quilt.  I printed the pictures last night and had to iron them this morning to set the ink.  The printer gave me some troubles with the last picture and it took several tries to get it to print.  I have no idea what the trouble was, just didn't seem to want to print that 7th picture.  I was using June Taylor Colorfast sheets from JoAnn's.  You can get them here http://www.joann.com/june-tailor-colorfast-sew-in-inkjet-fabric-sheets-8-1-2in-x-11in-25-pkg/2359131.html#q=june+taylor+colorfast&start=2 on sale for 50% off now.  I got the 25 sheet pack since I have two more quilts to make in the next week.

They say they are ok to wash and I'm hoping they last a long time.  My mom made a quilt with my son's picture in the middle when he was 2 and the picture lasted about ten years with lots of washings.  That poor quilt is about gone now, but he still loves it to death.  You can't see the picture anymore, but technology has changed so much that I'm sure the photo fabric is much better.  I'm also sure my friend won't be washing her quilt as often as I washed his, especially when he was much younger.  I doubt she will be throwing up on it or peeing on it, though you never know :)

I am just hopeful I can get it done soon so I can play with some other fabrics and quilts.  I really want to get back to the smaller kid quilts.  They are so much quicker and I don't have to have such a long attention span.  This is why I don't quilt for hire.  You have to stick with a project until it is finished, not until you lose interest and move onto the next fun thing to do.  Maybe if I stuck with a project until it was done, I'd have lots more finished things.  Maybe after a short rest, I will have energy to get the quilt top finished and loaded onto the quilting machine.  I hope those pictures are easy to quilt through.  The fabric is stiff and seems unforgiving if you make a mistake.  I'm just a bit nervous to quilt it.  I guess the worse that could happen is I have to redo a block.  It's only fabric!

No comments: