Monday, December 30, 2013

learning to use EQ7

I'm having fun playing around with EQ7 and designing quilts.  I haven't come up with anything earth shattering yet, but I'm really having fun with it.  I'll be trying out the quilts too, not just designing on paper hopefully.  I plan to make simple quilts that can be finished quickly for our Binky Patrol meetings and that also use the Accuquilt dies I have.  The Accuquilt dies really do cut down on the time it takes to make a quilt.  I'm hoping to show that to my Binky Patrol members this year as I invite new quilt shop members to the meetings and hope they join me in working through my stash.  I've bought buckets, built shelves in the shed and garage and finally decided the only way to truly organize is to actually use up the fabric stash.  The idea of no buy doesn't work for me because I may buy five or ten yards a year, but I'm given thousands of yards at a time when someone's mother or grandmother passes away.  I have no way of measuring that amount, unless it is in pounds and no way of working through it unless it is with the help of friends.  I need to be able to focus on quilting more and faster.  If I can get others to help me cut and sew the quilt tops and I can get both my quilting machines working at the same time and get all my binding buddies going, I can really get some quilting done in 2014.  500 quilts wouldn't be too big of a stretch, although the batting might be expensive for that endeavor :)  But I have faith that God will provide the people, the batting and the energy this coming year to get through some of this and get these quilts made and into the hands of kids who need them.

So, when I can't quilt, like in the mornings when all the kids are sleeping, or at night, when hubby wants me to watch TV with him, I can now design my own quilts.  It's pretty fun and pretty addictive.  I can tell I'm going to need to get a binder to put all these things in and maybe a new tab on my blog to hellp me stay organized :)  Here's to a new year full of anticipation.

No comments: