Friday, August 2, 2013

New security door

Today we had a new security door installed by Lowe's.  We wanted to get it so we could leave the front door open and let the cool breeze blow through the house.  We live in a wind tunnel and the $400 price tag should have paid off in saved air conditioning
 
They didn't tell us that there would be a 1/2 inch gap all the way around the door where bugs could get in.  The guy who installed it said it was for security, not for keeping bugs out.  It doesn't really make sense to me that there has to be a gap all the way around the door, but at least now, when I answer the door, the dogs can't run out and the bad guys can't get in.  But see the light there on the outside wall?  Yeah, the security door hits it when it is opened.  The solution?  I put a pot right under it so when the door opens, it hits the pot, not the light.  That's what the door installer suggested.  The door doesn't open all the way, but at least my light and my door won't get broken when the kids slam the door open bringing groceries in.
 
And, maybe I can figure out a way to add weather stripping around the door to plug up the gap so I can leave the door open and let the cool breeze blow in. 
 
 
I sewed and sewed and sewed flannel together this morning while waiting for the door guy to show up, the appointment was sometime between 10 and noon and he showed up at 11:45.  I sewed from 10 to 11:30.  I loaded all of this backing onto the quilting machine.  I love having a ton of backing fabric on the machine so I can just load quilt top after quilt top and it only takes about 10-15 minutes to quilt the little guys.  I can get a lot of quilts done in a day if the backing fabric is already loaded on.  I wonder how many quilts I can get done from this round of backing fabric.  The problem with this much backing fabric is when I have another big quilt to do, I have to either take off the backing, or work on it until it is all done.  I have several other quilts in the works, the memory quilt, the wedding quilt and now a comfort quilt for the neighbor of a friend.  She lost her son in a motorcycle accident two months ago and is very depressed.  My friend is hoping a quilt will help her.  I'm hoping to start that tomorrow after I finish the wedding quilt top.  I worked on that a lot today too.  I'm 2/3 of the way done with the top.
 
Mr. Migraine showed up this morning and had been keeping me company most of the day.  It seems like I get more quilting done when he is around.  Weird right?
 
 






1 comment:

Quiltingranny said...

All security doors have a bit of a gap, we had one in AZ loved it and never had a bug issue. We are getting another one, a white one as you can see outside, but the bad guys can't see in during the day. Couldn't they have had the door open on the other side? Bummer!! Sorry about the migraine will say a prayer!