Tuesday, August 6, 2013

another memory quilt finished

 I'm very pleased with how this one turned out.  I used the book Too Cool T Shirt Quilts and staggered the designs so they aren't all in rows and had to do some partial seams and lots of pinning and getting up and down and sewing a block here and there and laying things back down and picking them back up, but I learned a lot and with each quilt like this I'm getting better.  The stretching of the different types of fabrics is noticeable in the quilt top, but adds character :) to the whole quilt.  I liked having the plain fabric squares to work with because I could turn them whatever way I wanted and place them wherever and it really helped with the layout of the whole quilt.  I used the extra plain blocks for the back and cut them really big, 16.5 inches because there were so many of the plain shirts and pajamas.  I was just going to use a plain piece of fabric for the back but when I saw just how much clothing I had leftover from piecing the front, I figured I could get a whole back out of what was left.  I wasn't sure how well it would work out with a stretchy front and back, but the back actually came out less stretchy than the front, probably because of all of the flannel pajama pieces that were in there.  Now to present it to my friend.  Her birthday is in 4 days so I'm hoping to get it to her before then.  I still need to attach the name plate to the back, it is done, just need to clip the extra threads and sew it on.  And it's only 7:30 in the morning :)  I have the whole day ahead of me for more projects.  Today's going to be a good day.


No comments: