Friday, August 15, 2014

winding up and winding down

I guess I am ready for my summer to come to and end and my school year to begin.  It's not like I really have a choice in the matter.  I have been in to school 3 days this week, so I must like going there even when I don't have to be there and you can tell from the quilt pictures, things are winding down in that department.

After going in to the doctor and having her tell me that I shouldn't be taking so much headache medicine, I stopped taking any pain meds last Saturday.  It's been 6 days since I've taking anything for the headache and I'm still having them every day.  So, I'm not sure how long they can claim these are rebound headaches from taking too much medicine, but I'm determined to stick it out and see just how long I can go without having to take something.

I find that when I'm out doing stuff, I can distract myself and then get to the point where I just have to come home and sit for a couple of hours before I can get up and get going again.  Not really practical when I have to teach, but for these last few days of summer, it's been working.  That's one of the reasons I haven't been quilting as much.  I just haven't felt as well.  When I'm on medicine, I have more energy to get stuff done.

I'm not sure there is a good solution to the problem.

I watched a 45 minute lecture on chronic headache today on youtube and the doctor talked about all the latest theories about people who have headaches more than 15 days a month.  I'm tempted to try botox again, seems like there are other injection sites besides the forehead that might work better, like the back of the neck and temples.  I'm working with the headache clinic Nurse Practitioner now to figure out if there's anything else I can try.

Going in to school today and seeing all of the incoming freshmen students got me a little excited because they are all so small.  I forget just how little these guys are at the beginning of the year.  By the end of the year, they have grown up so much and have turned into the typical teenagers where they know everything about everything, but at the beginning of the year, they are still cute and funny and a joy to be around.

I'm excited for the new teachers.  Once again, we have a whole crew of new faces this year.  I'm not exactly sure why such a huge turnover at our school, but the past 5 years or so, we've had a large amount of teachers leave and there have been a whole bunch of new names to learn.  They moved our parking spaces because we are getting a new library, and those of us 'old timers' got the best spots.  I'm way up there in seniority and got one of the closest spaces.  It pays to stick around I guess!

No comments: