Saturday, August 2, 2014

Non Traditional Baby Quilt

Black and Gold, not your traditional baby quilt colors.  This is the quilt I'm working on for my principal's daughter who had her baby July 20.  I figure I better get started if I have hopes of finishing up those 7 quilts I must get done before going back in 16 days.  It's a doable goal, but a little crazy.

This quilt has 6 1/2 inch squares, I cut 4 layers of them, width of fabric and 8 layers of fabric of the three different colors of 2 1/2 inch strips for the  other blocks.  I'm not sure if it would have been faster to sew the three strips together, iron them and then cut them apart, but I don't like to do things that way.  I find that things like to bend and twist a bit when I do things that way.  So, I just cut the strips into 6 1/2 inch pieces and then sewed all the pieces together.  I put the quilt together as I sewed the blocks up I had this done in about 2 hours.

The outer, dark strips look almost the same from here, but really, they are quite different in person.  Weird how they look so much the same.

Depending on if I can get the backing fabric off the quilting machine or not, I may get this one quilted today and bound tomorrow.  That will be one quilt done :)  Only 6 more to go.

No comments: