Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11 memories

Well, it is fitting to stop and remeber 7 years ago today. I remember waking up and turning on the TV. I don't do that anymore, maybe because of that day. Maybe because I don't want to start my day knowing what is happening in the world outside of my own little world or maybe because I'm so busy with things in my own little world that I just don't have the time to sit and think anymore. I was up around 6am and the first plane had crashed into the tower by the time I had turned the TV on. I wasn't sure what to think. When the second plane crashed I called into work and asked if we were supposed to come in. I teach at a high school that is right next to an Air Force Base. I figured if we were under attack as a country, they would want everyone to stay home and be safe. I was told to come in. We weren't sure what was going on, but that I needed to be there for the kids.

I remember coming in and there were only about half the students in class. My own two kids who went to school on base couldn't get to school. I had to take them back home again. I was worried for their safety all day long. The students I had in class were worried. Many of their teachers had radios on or TV's or the internet going all day in their classes. The kids had images going all day and were scared. I tried to have class as normal. I remember we were teaching about observations and inferences that day. Strange that I can remember what exactly I was teaching that day when I can't even remember what I taught yesterday.

My kids actually thanked me for not having the TV going or the radio on. They wanted a break from the news and the images. Most of those kids had parents who went to war shortly after 9/11 and I'm sure they were worried about it all day.

My friend at work had a brother who was in one of the towers and who got out safely. I remember that she was worried about him, but she kept on teaching as well that day. I don't think I could have done that if I had a family member who was there. Most of us were on autopilot that day, going through motions and trying to remain calm for the kids.

I will never forget. That is one reason I make the Quilt tops for the Quilts of Valor project and send them to Alycia's project. Won't you join me?

No comments: