Saturday, September 6, 2008

back in the groove




Today felt like a normal quilting day. I got up fairly early and got some chores done, loads and loads of laundry, dishes, yard watered because it has been over 100 degrees for weeks and everything is dying and then got my #2 daughter out hitting tennis balls on the ball machine in the backyard before it 100 degrees today. Then, it was into the sewing room to work on quilts. I sewed together fabric for the quilt top for Matt Garcia's quilt and then decided to put bidings on two quilts that have been sitting here for a month. It really doesn't take a long time to add bindings to quilts, it just takes effort. I had some fabric cut that wasn't specifically meant for bindings, but would serve the purpose and so I figured done was better than perfect and I wanted these quilts done before church tomorrow so I got them done and they are ready to go tomorrow. The happy blocks quilt is my favorite quilt I've ever made. I just love the colors and this picture sure doesn't do it justice. I don't know if the flash didn't go off or what, but it sure is dark. I will have to take another one outside to capture the colors of this one so I can remember how happy it made me. It took a long time to make and I wanted to give up a couple of times while making it, but I love how colorful it is and how happy it makes me feel to look at and I'm sure some child will love it. Both of these quilts will be headed to Kazakhstan soon.



These two pictures are the before and after shots of my youngest's first day of preschool. He was so excited the day before, but wasn't too sure the day of. But, look how happy he was when I came to pick him up.















You can tell I was going to be ready for sewing when I sat down last night. I got my bobbin winder out and started winding bobbins. I just love this thing. It is called a Side Winder and its sole purpose in life is to wrap thread on those little metal bobbins. My machine has the bobbin winding part stuck so when you wind the bobbin, the whole needle thingy goes up and down and I've broken a couple of needles while winding bobbins because the machine shakes so much the foot falls off. I got this about a year ago and it sure has earned its keep! I went through two bobbins today already.

1 comment:

Roslyn said...

What a nice thing to do for this young man's family. As CO.Coordinator for HOB Quilt Project & as a bereaved mother mnyself I know how much it will mean to them.
Bless you,
Roslyn