Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Back to School night

I have to leave in about 10 minutes for Back to School night. I hate back to school night. This is the night where I get to talk to parents. It is one of the longest days of the year. I feel like the adult on Charlie Brown. Wahhh, wahhh, wahh, wahhh wah. You know, you are making noises, but nobody can understand what you are saying. You are talking and talking and people are sitting there looking at you blankly as though you aren't saying anything. Then, the bell rings and they all leave and the next batch comes in and you start all over again.

After yesterday's post about trying to make a difference in one kids' life, I got a reality check up today. One of my friends got called for jury duty. She is waiting to see if she gets picked for a murder trial. She is on day 2 of the duty. Yesterday one of her students was giving the substitute a bad time, so I offered to babysit him today. He was my student last year and I thought we had a pretty good relationship. He didn't do well in my class (that's why he is taking it again this year) but I thought we understood each other.

So, he comes in my class and I had the work all ready for him. I told him that since he couldn't behave for the sub, he had to stay with me today and do the work in my classroom. Well, he didn't like that at all. He wanted to go back in his class and goof off with his friends. When I told him that wasn't the choice, he said he wanted to go and punch the substitute in the face for saying that he wasn't behaving yesterday. He said that he always behaves now. I said, oh, yeah, like right now? Then, he starts cussing me out and walks out of my class. Reality check! Kids are going to make choices and he just made one. I didn't have the impact I thought I had and I won't be offering to babysit him again. From now on, he will go straight to the office when there is a sub for that teacher. At least he didn't punch me in the face =) See, I am an optomist!!!

No comments: