Sunday, May 11, 2014

He's 10

 We had a great day yesterday at 6 Flags in Vallejo for my son's 10th birthday.  This is the little guy who only wants to stay inside and watch YouTube and play video games.  About 2 weeks ago I asked him what he wanted to do for his Birthday and we finally agreed to go to the amusement park.  He had never been and had never even shown a desire to ride a roller coaster.
 So the first one we went on was Medusa.  Sounded like a good idea at the time.
 He got really nervous the closer we got.  The lines weren't long for anything.  The most we waited was 15 minutes.  My older son waited almost an hour for Superman, but then he and his girlfriend are crazy.  (His girlfriend likes roller coasters.  The rest of us, not so much!)  My son put his head down at the beginning of the ride and then couldn't pick it up.  He said the ride hurt his neck!  Really?  I wonder why?  This one goes up side down about 7 times and twists you around and your feet hang out.  For your very first roller coaster, it's a big one.  When you get off, they have a picture of you.  The picture of us was me and my son's girl friend are laughing.  My little guy you can't even see because he is bent over in his seat and my older son looks like he's going to cry :)  He's so scared.  He doesn't like coasters at all, but goes because his girl friend loves them.  That's true love!
 So, we decide to go for a more mild roller coaster, the cobra.  That one doesn't go up side down.  My son loves that one!  He even holds one hand in the air for about 2 seconds. :)  He's getting the hang of this amusement park thing now.
 Bumper cars are next and we decide to do boys vs. girls to see who the better drivers are.
 Of course, girls win.  My son just drove around in a circle and had a great time getting crashed into.
 $12 chicken nuggets for lunch.  In my next life I'm going to open a chicken and burger shack in an amusement park.  $60 for lunch that was barely edible.  The burgers were cold and greasy, but the pigeons loved them.  I got a bottled Coke for $4.50.  You can buy the same thing for $.50 at the grocery store.  They won't let you bring food in the park and the parking lot is 5 miles away.
 This was my son's favorite ride.  We went on it 4 times.  He went on it once with each of us and once by himself.  He is really shy at first and then once he gets comfortable starts to open up and get crazy.  I love this guy.
 We all had UCLA stuff on and we didn't even plan it. Too funny.
 Here he is with dad.  He used to be able to handle all the rides, but with age comes wisdom or a weak stomach.  He was dizzy after this one!
 We let the kids do this one.  After seeing how wet everyone got after coming off, there was no way I was going to walk around with squishy shoes for 4 more hours.
I remember as a kid just knowing I could make it to the top of the rope ladder and making it about half way.  He made it about 2 more seconds before the guy let go at the bottom and he flipped over.  He still got a green stuffed shark for trying and the $5 it cost to try.  I'm sure the shark cost $.50 to make, but he loves it so it was worth it. :)

What a great day we had.  Not too many people, not too much waiting in lines.
I can barely walk today and my nose is sunburned, but I'd do it again next year!

No comments: