Monday, May 12, 2014

another leftover binding quilt

With the amount of quilts we produce around here, we do have a lot of leftover binding scraps.  This is another one of the binding quilts we made at the last quilt day.  I think there are two more out there that will be coming back to be quilted soon.  Little bits of leftovers added together add up.  I love the look of a scrap quilt and remembering the quilts these came from.  I also love that we just can't seem to throw anything away.  Every little bit gets used up.  That does cause a problem because I can't throw anything away and so my living room, family room, kitchen, dining room, garage and shed are full of fabric.  From small pieces to yardage, everything is waiting for its turn to be made into a quilt.  Sunday I talked to about 45 women and asked for their help in getting this waiting fabric made into more quilts that can be passed out to more kids.  I am hoping this Sunday some will show up and help me cut more quilt kits and take those home to sew.  Of course, that means this summer I will be busy quilting.  With about 100 days off in the summer, if I can average 5 quilts a day, I can really get my numbers up.  I just hope Rebecca the robotic machine can keep up.  She likes to give me fits sometimes.  The other day she decided to speed up her stitches for no apparent reason.  All of a sudden she just started stitching really, really fast!  I cleaned the tracks and checked for a stuck thread somewhere.  I checked the program to see if a number was off somewhere and after a few rows of having a fit, she gave up and went back to normal.  I have no idea why she did that, but she just wanted to make sure I knew she was still there and that I gave her some extra attention.  I think she doesn't want me to forget that she's working hard for me and that I make sure to pay attention to her.  You see, I just need to push a couple buttons and then I can walk away to the other room.  I have to come back at the end of each row and move her to the beginning of the next row.  I don't think she likes to be ignored like that.  She likes it when I stay in the room with her and cut fabric or organize things.  But, I do have dishes to wash and laundry to do some days.  It's not all about quilting around here.  I still have kids that need to be fed and a house that needs a little attention sometimes.  Entropy exists unfortunately and it's winning the battle.  I'm not fighting very hard.

18 days of school left and then I get more time to play.  If you are in the Vacaville, Ca area on Sunday, stop by A Quilted Heart and join us for some quilting fun.  I'd love to meet you.

No comments: