Wednesday, August 31, 2011

600 had to be special



I am supposed to still be resting and recovering from surgery, but I never did learn what that is supposed to look like so since I needed a quilt for someone in the hospital and I have all of this time on my hands, I figured quilting really isn't that strenuous :) I would be ok putting this top together and quilting it. This makes quilt number 600 that I have quilted. It was inspired by Bonnie Hunter's Chunky Churn Dash quilt and used up some of the scraps we cut at the Teen Quilt day back in early August.


The setting blocks are called Hourglass blocks and my friend Carla helped figure out how big to make them. The Churndash blocks are 12 1/2 unfinished so that means the Hourglass blocks are supposed to be the same size. Well, according to Bonnie Hunter, you add 1 1/4 inch to the size you want, which would make the square to start with 13 3/4. Well, either I can't measure or somebody's math was off because those blocks came out about an inch too big. I cut 4 of them and then messed up and cut 8 blocks at 12 3/4 inches and those came out just right. Someone doesn't know what they are doing. Most likely me :)


Do you see the mistake in this quilt? How did that happen? Ugh. After it has been quilted, I am NOT going to take it out, and I doubt the person who receives it will notice, but double ugh :)


This one is going to my across the street neighbor's band bass player, DJ. He suffered a massive heart attack and I think could use a little hug to help the healing. I stopped in at my son's school today and asked that they make a whole bunch of get well cards too because the band, the Hipwaders, plays at the school every year and most of the kids know the band members. Both of the neighbor boys attended the elementary school.

No comments: