Thursday, January 22, 2009

Be the change

So, this guy named Gandhi says Be the change you want to see in the world and Obama says he is the Change we need and I'm trying to wrap my mind around these ideas and come up with something I can do to change my own little world one deed at a time.

I was thinking about my last post and how the people I work with were not at all motivated to do anything for the National Day of Service, eventhough the guy they voted for asked them to. I'm wondering how these changes that our country needs will come about, if each of us doesn't make some kind of change from what we have been doing every day. If we all just sit around and complain about the state of the economy, and then wait for someone else to fix it, I don't believe the change will come. But, how do you get people to act on the changes that are necessary?

These are just some of the things I ponder in my spare time.

As a teacher, I try to get students to change their behaviors every day, to make better choices for their futures. Giving speaches has never worked, there always has to be something, whether externally motivating, such as a parent taking away their cell phone or car, or internally, such as the desire to go to college to get students to perform to their best potential.

What can I do to be a part of the change?

No comments: