Monday, June 23, 2014

a trip home is never long enough

  A trip home to visit with the parents is never long enough.  I went out last Monday to help my dad take care of my mom while she had hip surgery.  I had to watch over my dad too because he likes to eat things he isn't supposed to and get himself in trouble.  At 82, the memory isn't what it used to be and he will forget to take his medicine and gave me a scare tripping over his own feet in the parking lot at the grocery store.  I think he just wanted as much attention as my mom got with her new hip.  He saw how much fun she was having (or not!) and thought maybe if he broke something I might stay another week.
My mom had some good and some not so good days.  She has a physical therapist coming to the house three days a week and a nurse coming once a week to take her blood and check the medicine levels to make sure the blood is thin but not too thing so she doesn't get blood clots.  The physical therapist gave her a dozen exercises she's supposed to do and I got my niece to agree to come over every day to make sure my mom does them.  My mom likes to say they are too hard and that she will only do half of the required amount.  Having someone there to encourage her will really help her get better faster.

I'm at the airport now, waiting for the tornado warning to pass and my flight got delayed an extra hour and fifteen minutes.  I'll be getting home after midnight.  Only a true Californian would think having to hide in a tornado shelter at the airport was a fun thing to do.  But, I'm up for almost any adventure.  I did pay the extra $14 a day on the rental car, hoping for hail damage, which didn't happen, until I turned the car in tonight!

I'll be sharing more stories over the next week or so.  I just saw a guy go past with an ice cream cone.  I think that's my next destination!  I have three more hours til my plane takes off and this is a big airport!

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

So glad your mom's surgery is over and appears to be successful. The exercises are important and so is the encouragement. Dad needs some of that also. Glad you have someone there to help out.

Farm Quilter said...

I agree with Bonnie! Mom needs to push herself if she wants to regain full function again! So glad you have family who is willing to step in and be the encourager there since you do need to go home. You are right, visits home are never long enough and too long in between!