Monday, March 3, 2014

doing it all myself

 Sometimes I'm a control freak.  I like to have my hand in lots of things because when I let go, things fall apart.  This year, the Science Fair is on Friday.  We had a big meeting back in September with the County Office of Education.  There were 6 people in the meeting: me, the principal, some big wigs from the district office and some county people.  They make more in a day than I make in a week.  They were a little upset last year that I put their name on the fair.  I ran the entire fair last year, with the help from Carla who wrote all the letters for donations.  I got several donations from the community, got 6 schools to participate and then the county office of ed comes down and says, why did you put our name on the fair?  We didn't give you permission to do that!  We didn't sponsor it!  So, this year, we had to have a BIG meeting, and I got scolded for doing such a great job last year.  They took away my ability to do any of the advertising or promoting.  They said they would contact all the schools and newspapers and make sure everyone knew about the fair.  I offered to do what I did last year and was told in no uncertain terms I had better not do that again.

Well, entries were due last week and I got 2, count them 2 outside entries for the fair this year.  Yup, great publicity this time around.  I've asked and nobody outside my school has heard about the fair.  One of the entries was entered last year and one is new.  Can I cry now?  I feel like I was set up to be a failure this year.  I have 9 judges coming to judge 55 projects.  I guess I should be happy that I don't have to work very hard, but there are a lot of people who want to see me fail.

This morning I was emailing every teacher I could think of to see if they just happened to have a science fair project in their classroom that I could borrow for the fair.

And I'm planning for next year.  I'd rather get in trouble from some big wig people that don't really matter than let kids down.  Kids are what's important to me.

No comments: