Saturday, July 2, 2011

not keeping up

I'm just not keeping up with my goal of quilting 4 quilts a day. I really want to get 200 quilts done this summer and I have to get back in the groove if I want to get these tops done before school starts. I know to some this seems like a big task, but it really can be done. It only takes about 15 minutes to quilt a small top for me, but it is just one of the many things on my to do list each day.

Yesterday I finished fixing my mangle :) Carla's husband has been helping me. I had to rewire the electrical parts and I had no idea what I was doing. I went to the local hardware store and they built me a new electrical plug. You see, this thing is from the 1950's and the old plug had the insulation coming out. It still worked, but I figured it was just a matter of time before it shorted and burned my house down. Plus, when I drug it into the house, I ran it over and cut through the electrical cord. Probably the best thing I ever did because that forced me to replace the cord. Unless I am forced to do something, it takes me forever to fix something. Like my leaky faucet in the kitchen. Needs to be done, but hasn't happened yet this summer. Next on my to do list. I just know it is going to be a pain in the neck. Seriously. Not something I want to tackle.

So, the mangle is working and now I can iron fabric so easily. It is fun! Crazy huh?

So, I iron and then cut it into little pieces, which means the fabric needs to be sewn back together. Which takes away from quilting time. Not that I'm sewing fabric back together just yet. First you have to make kits. Kits with patterns. Patterns that have to be searched out on the computer and printed out. And then stuck into baggies, along with the cut out fabric. Do you see where I'm going here? I'm making lots of UFO's. Unfinished Projects. Why? I have ten thousand of these already, but it is so much fun to make these. And then I will find friend (unsuspecting victims) to sew them together for me :)

And speaking of victims, I'm going to have a giveaway on Monday, July 4 for one of these quilt kits. It will be a patriotic kit to celebrate our country's birthday. It will be Stretched Stars and in Red, White and Blue and I will send it to one lucky Winner! It could be you :) It will have all of the fabrics and a pattern and all you will need to do is sew, sew, sew and you can keep the quilt top, or send it to your favorite Quilts of Valor program for them to finish up and give to a Soldier to say THANKS for serving our country.

So, come back on Monday to see a picture (because I haven't cut it out yet) and enter the giveaway.

Ok, enough procrastinating. I'm 10 quilts behind so I have to go quilt!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

How many days towards you goal are you? Maybe you need to just take a deep breath and some time to recover from the migraines. Instead of looking at the total numbers, take each day one at a time and see if you can get those four quilts done, maybe five if it's a great day... If it was me, looking at how far behind I am and how many more I've got to go would totally derail me.

It's not all or nothing -- a hundred quilts would still be amazing! And I really do think you can get them all done if life cooperates with you.

Miss Hillbilly said...

Oh dear, I would stress over such a goal!!! Just rest when your head tells you to though!!