Thursday, September 16, 2010

one of THOSE days?

Ever have one of those days where you wish you could just crawl back into bed?

I teach full time. 99.9% of the time I LOVE my job. But, not when I have a migraine. I usually get several migraines a month. They are way more under control than when I was younger. They started after my first child was born. Just one of the many gifts she has given me along the way :) At least I don't ever think I will get grey hair from her. It just isn't in my genes. My dad's hair turned platinum blonde as he ages so I think mine will turn white or get more blonde instead of going grey.

But, back when I first started getting migraines, I would get really sick. I would have to get in a dark room and be very quiet. I would have to lay down or I would throw up.

Now I am on a daily medicine which allows me to be able to still function when I get a migraine. Most of the time when I get a migraine, I can get rid of it just by taking ibuprofen, but not today.

And today we were working with microscopes. A bright light shining right into my eye is a sure trigger of a migraine.

I don't think any of my kids realized how much pain I was in because I still had them laughing, even in 6th period. I tell you sometimes I think I talk like the teacher in Charlie Brown. I swear I make perfect sense and then when I ask the kids to repeat what I just said, they look at me like I was speaking Japanese! Today I wanted to bang my head against the wall. They just laughed and instead of getting mad, I just laughed too. What else can you do but start over and talk slower and make fun of yourself when it seems like nobody is understanding. Tomorrow is another day.

I need to learn to let go of the things I have no control over, like not knowing I had three students who didn't speak English until yesterday because the teachers weren't given the list. I was so frustrated, but there isn't anything I can do about the past. I can only change the future. Now that I know they need extra help, I can put a student with them who speaks their language (except the Chinese girl) and talk a little slower so they can understand me easier.

And I can come home, put my feet up, watch a quilting DVD and drink a coke :) the caffeine helps the migraines sometimes.

tomorrow will be better

3 comments:

Monica said...

I feel your pain...literally. I hope you have a nice, quiet and relaxing evening to make that migraine go away.

Wendy said...

See .. I've always said teachers deserve sainthood!! Bless your heart and I'll pray for a better day tomorrow for you :) I'm fighting the frog wearing a sand-suit in my throat. Dirty buggers taken up residence :( Get well soon!!

Kasey said...

Here's one bright spot: You're over halfway to 100 followers!!! And, chocolate has caffeine, too... I always eat a little extra if i get a migraine. It tastes better than most other things people recommend!