Saturday, April 4, 2009

Iris season


























Iris season is starting for me. I'm not counting the purple ones that bloom twice a year for me. Sometimes they bloom three times a year! Can you believe it. These guys bloom in December and then again now and sometimes again in September. They are so weird. I just love them. They obviously can't read because they are only supposed to bloom twice. About 3 years ago, I found a local place and have visited it twice--missing it last year. It is in Napa, Ca and if you are close enough to make the drive, I promise you that you will not be disappointed.












































Take a look at their website. Even if you don't live close enough and love iris, you can order iris tubers and they will ship them to you in August or sometimes late July and then you too can have gorgeous iris at your house next spring. I have probably 100 bloom stalks out there, just waiting to explode with color, so be expecting to see a lot of iris pictures over the next few weeks.


Today after getting the boys haircuts, I saw that Raley's had iris in 5 gallon pots for $14.39. They each had about 3 to 5 bloom stalks on them. There weren't any colors I don't have, so I couldn't talk myself into buying one, but maybe when I am weak, I will go back and pick up one or more. You can't buy fresh cut flowers for that price and these guys last a long time.












I wish I could send you the fragrance with these pictures. The purple ones especially smell so good!


Here are some more pictures of things in bloom here in Northern California today. And some pictures of the things growing in my garden. Peas and tomatoes and squash are doing well so far and the raddish have come up. There is nothing that makes you feel like a successful gardener like raddish seeds. Even if you don't like eating them, just knowing that you can throw the seeds in the ground and in a week have little seedlings, makes you feel like you have a green thumb. Even if you don't.









Today I got the lawns mowed, loads and loads of laundry done, the kitchen cleaned, the boys' haircuts and other parts of the house cleaned. A good start to the weekend. I think I will reward myself with some quilting. I am watching my quilting DVDs (pajamaquilter and Fast and Furious 0.5) and want to try out some new things. Just not enough time in the day.







It sure feels good to feel good again.
Here are the two quilts I finished last weekend and this week. The first went to the wife of a co-worker who has been in the hospital since Dec 23. He has an infection in his pancreas and has been in a medically induced coma for most of the time. He does better and then regresses. The principal said it brought his wife to tears.


The second was for a dear friend whose dad has heart failure and is in a nursing home now. He is too weak to do surgery. I made this for her, but she gave it to him. I should have made it a little more masculine, but I think he liked it anyways. Felt good to be able to give her a hug like this.

No comments: