Saturday, December 4, 2010

12 skills?

If you could come up with a list of skills every quilter should have, what would they be?

Perfect 1/4 inch seam, 1/2 square triangles, flying geese, quilting feathers, stitch in the ditch

These are some on my list. I'm trying to come up with 12 things every quilter should be able to do and then I'm going to put those on my list for next year's resolutions. Every month, I'm going to choose one of those things and have that be my goal for the month. By the end of the year, my quilting skills will have improved a lot. And, if the goal is only for the month, I don't think I will be so scared to try 1/2 square triangles like I was this year. I even bought a special ruler for cutting the triangles and still couldn't bring myself to trying them!

So, help me out here. What do you suggest I add to my list. I'm off to search the internet to see if someone has already done the hard part for me and to procrastinate from grading papers.

1 comment:

Helen in the UK said...

What a fun idea! I would definately add quarter square triangles, setting quilt blocks on point, basic applique and flippy corners (ie where you put a square on a corner, sew diagonally, flip and trim to create a triangle). I might also add some liberated piecing, square in a square blocks, use of crumbs and/or strings, pieced backs. With the HSTriangles I would say you needed to know more than one method of making them too!
Will be fascinated to see what others suggest, your final list of 12 and how you tackle this project :)