Friday, April 3, 2015

Welcome to the family Star

So I've been wanting another dog ever since my old dog Mandy died a couple months ago.  I went to the pound on March 17 and saw the cutest black and white dog that had a tennis ball.  I've always wanted a dog that would fetch.  When I was a little girl, I had two dogs that I tried to teach to fetch by throwing a stick, crawling over to it and picking it up in my mouth.  I'd crawl back to the dog and drop the stick near the dog.  I must have done that a thousand time and the dog would just look at me like I was crazy.
When I got my boxer/lab, I thought for sure I would have a fetching dog.  No luck.  She wanted nothing to do with balls or sticks.  Every lab I've ever known loved to fetch, but not mine.  Maybe the boxer part of her was too strong.
Well, after seeing that black and white dog with its ball, I really wanted to get it.  So, I finally talked my husband into going to look at the dogs today.  We were just going to look, not get a dog.  Sure enough, that dog was still there.  Not a good sign.  It's been a couple of weeks and nobody has adopted it.  He thought the dog was pretty cute, but also thought this little chihuahua was really cute too.  It was really quiet, but was wagging its tail like crazy every time he walked past.  I didn't really give it a second look because I really wanted that black and white dog.
When we went in to ask about the dog, they said the black and white dog was jumpy around kids and might bite out of fear.  Nope, don't want to take a chance with a dog like that.  So, we asked to see the little brown and white dog my husband picked out.  Sure enough, he was so cute and climbed into my son's lap and snuggled right down and almost fell asleep.  I didn't think we would be able to get him out once he got comfortable.
Yep, we just went to look and came home with a new family member.  Surely after being together almost 30 years, my husband had to know that 'just looking' meant we were coming home with a new dog.  I love him for knowing that and going with me anyways.  What's really funny is that our dogs really love this little guy already.  When my daughter brought her dog home for visits, they weren't so sure about him, but they welcomed Star right away and it's like he's been here forever.  My son hasn't left his side since bringing him home and has a new best friend!  I love it.  Good thing we have 9 more days of vacation for some more bonding time.

1 comment:

Farm Quilter said...

Your adorable Star looks very much like my rescue Tara. They are wonderful companions and lap warmers! OK, they are great at cuddling in bed under the covers too! I hope you enjoy the loving cuddles of Star for many years to come!!!