Sunday, April 19, 2015

Another love of mine

http://www.projectchemocrochet.com/site/index.php/chemo-crochet/38-update-chemo/97-how-to-get-involved

So you know I love Jesus, my family, my dogs and quilting.  But, did you know I LOVE to crochet?

It's my portable craft project that I do most nights while watching TV with my husband.  I can't bring my embroidery machine or sewing machine into the bedroom and he doesn't like the dogs in the room either, but for some reason he hasn't complained when I have knitting needles or crochet hooks moving furiously next to him.  I guess because he hasn't jumped out of bed in the middle of the night and stepped on one just yet!  I had a friend who ended up in the emergency room after just such an event!  I learned from her mistake and put them up high when I'm finished with them.

But, lately I've been crocheting bits and pieces of donated yarn and leftover bits of that Dr. Who scarf into granny squares.  I usually make 7 inch squares (5 rounds) and then those get made into an afghan when I have enough.

Well, I had about 110 squares made when I got the bright idea to search online for a charity group that was collecting 7 inch squares.  Surely there was someone out there who would love to join these squares for me.  I love to crochet, but hate to sew the squares together and even more hate to sew all the tails in.  That has to be the worst part of the project for sure!

Well, sure enough, there was a group that made afghans for cancer patients, but they wanted 9 inch squares.  No problem!  I just need to add 2 rounds to each of these 110 squares I have.  That can't take very long now can it? :)

So, I'm starting a second box and when I'm done with these, there should be several afghans worth of squares ready to go.  It takes 24 squares to make an afghan.

If you'd like to join me, click on the link at the top of the page for how to get involved.  You can knit or crochet 9 inch squares and mail them off when you have one or 100 finished.  Together we can bring comfort to someone with cancer.
 So far I have 21 squares finished, so that means I need 3 more for a complete afghan, but the box has a lot more room in it.  Just a few a day and the box will be full before I know it.

No comments: