Friday, February 7, 2014

Hearts of Hope for Margaret's Hope Chest

Can you help make Heart quilts for Margaret's Hope Chest?  If you want to help out, but need help finishing up the quilts, you can send quilt tops to me and I will finish them and send them on for you.  You can also send just blocks using the patterns on the blog.

http://northhillsquilter.blogspot.com/2012/10/i-really-like-this-one.html

Here's a link to my blog where I have a favorite heart quilt.  It's an easy 16 patch block made with 3 1/2 inch squares and alternate heart blocks.  The hearts are made with 6 1/2 inch squares and 6 1/2 inch half square triangles.  The corners of the hearts are 2 1/2 inch half square triangles.

Here's the instructions for the heart block.  I make mine differently because I use the Accuquilt Studio to cut things so there's less waste with the corner blocks, but they turn out the same.
This quilt would be great for a boy or girl.  Most charities need lots of boy quilts because most quilters are women and we like to pick out flowery fabrics.  Sometimes we forget boys need quilts too.  I'd like to encourage you to make 2 boy quilts for every girl quilt this time around, just because boy quilts are always in such short supply and it makes you think outside the box.  I'm going to make another one of these, just because I love this quilt so much.

5 comments:

Sue Niven said...

I am a new quilter, I will be more than happy to make some quilt tops for you, Thank you for all that you do, an inspiration to me always.

KaHolly said...

I'll dig through my stash and see what I can come up with. My TX stash is limited.

Sue Niven said...

I have an idea, Would you like scrappy heart blocks sent to you as well?

miki said...

Marilyn -- I am making a boy's quilt using the pattern that you posted. I will send it to you for quilting and finishing (thanks for this generous offer!). I have enough fabric to piece a back for it. Should I do the backing and send it as well? If so, how much extra fabric do you like to have around the edges? Or do you prefer to do the quilt backs your self? Thanks, Miki

miki said...

Marilyn-- on second thought, I will use the rest of the fabric to piece another quilt top. I hope to get two boy-themed "Hearts of Hope" quilt to in the mail to you by next week. Thanks again for your generosity, Miki