Tuesday, May 22, 2012

finished the flower garden quilt

Washed it last night and put the stems on it this morning.  Normally I don't wash a quilt before gifting it, but this one had a funny smell to it from the backing fabric so it needed to be washed.  I decided to add the stems after quilting because I just needed more time to think about how to do it.  If you click on the picture to get a close up, you can see that what I ended up doing was cut a 2 inch strip of fabric and folded it in half.  I folded the end over itself and then stitched along the left side, along the raw edges of the folded fabric, down the middle.  Then, folded the folded side of the fabric over the raw edge and top stitched that in place.  I think it came out pretty good.  I was thinking of getting some giant ric-rac, or pre made binding, but when you don't have something and don't have the time to go shopping, you just have to use your thinking cap and come up with something.  This is a very long quilt because each of the blocks is 42 inches tall by only 24 inches wide.  I added the thicker strip in the middle to try and even things out, but it still makes for a skinny but long quilt.  That's ok, it will keep my friend's mom's feet warm :)

I love it and hope she does too!

No comments: