Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Retirement quilt for a friend


He loves to fish.  I even catch him checking out fishing blogs on his prep period, so I knew I had to make him a fishing quilt for his retirement gift.  I couldn't find a pattern I liked so I came up with this one.  I cut it with my Accuquilt Go! cutter, the big triangles are 6 1/2 inches and the small ones are 3 1/2 inches.  The squares are 6 1/2 inches.  I used a tshirt as the center panel and had to do some creative sewing to get the quilt to fit around the tshirt.  I added a 3 1/2 inch strip along the sides between the fish to make it long enough to fit the tshirt in the middle.

Of course I had to back it with jumping fish.  I know he is going to love it.  I just hope he isn't afraid to use it!

There are even two fish that have golf fabric, which is another one of his favorite hobbies.  Click on the picture to make it larger so you can see them.  This quilt was fun, but definately one of a kind.  It took way too much brain power to make again.  I have lots of fish left over, so they will go into another quilt for Binky Patrol for a little boy, but nothing this complex.  This was the first quilt I've made that was set on point too.  That wasn't easy either.  The setting triangles were harder than the looked.  Everything wanted to stretch just a little bit, when added up over the whole quilt meant a lot.  But quilting really did help stabilize it all and in the end, I'm really happy with the whole thing!

No comments: