Sunday, July 12, 2009

Big Day Today












Today my friend Carla is having a quilt day for the orphanage in Kazakhstan. She has invited everyone she knows and 25 people have said they are coming to help make quilts. I'm going after church to help out and see what she needs me to do. Yesterday I took over all of the quilts that needed trimming and binding and she said that the ladies would be happy to put the bindings on for me today. She has jobs for people who sew, who can cut fabric, who can iron and even those who have two left hands! I took my bobbin winder over and my new rotary blade sharpener, which actually works. I was surprised. I got it at JoAnn's with my 40% coupon and it works on the 45mm blades. You just put the blade in, give it a couple of twists in the little contraption and the blade is as good as new. Not bad for about $8.


I'm not quite sure what to expect from the day today. I took over about 25 quilts that needed bindings and I know Carla had about 10 that I saw and stacks of fabric waiting to be cut. I also took a bunch of fabric I picked up at a garage sale and a bunch of quilt kits I had cut earlier.



I just couldn't imagine having 25 ladies over to my house to sew. Where would I put them all?










I will post pictures later today or tomorrow if I'm too tired.


Lest you think I've been sitting around doing nothing these past two days...here's proof I've been busy as usual. Friday I had to drive my daughter to a retreat for a scholarship she was awarded last year. Every other year, the whole group of scholars goes away somewhere on a retreat. Social networking or something like that. They are up in Squaw Valley, Ca having the best time. I texted her saying I was having McDonald's for dinner, what are you having? Her answer...sirloin! Of course. She worked very hard to earn that scholarship. The sad thing is the scholarship runs out in 2015 and none of my other children will have a chance to apply for it. Oh, well, maybe something better will come along for them.

I've also been quilting away and working in the backyard. I've been moving steer manure and bark and fixing up the planting beds, trimming the iris back and putting in a soaker hose watering system to the thirsty plants. Every time I go out in the backyard they thank me with their happy flowers. The hard work is paying off. Slowly we are taking over the backyard and making it a nice place to sit in the evening or play tennis. I am getting beat by my almost 14 year old now. I used to be able to beat her easily. I guess that is a good thing because she is going to be playing on the high school tennis team starting next month.

And finally a gorgeous picture of the sunset last night. It even rained yesterday. Just a tiny sprinkle, but there was water falling from the sky in California in July. It was crazy!










Rom 5:8: But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

No comments: