Friday, January 1, 2016

Resolutions

It's January 1 so that must mean time for New Year's Resolutions.  Some years I avoid making them because I know I will last two weeks if I'm lucky.  But this year my goals will be a daily challenge to do little things that will make a big difference at the end of the year.

My word this year is Faithful.  It comes from

Luke 16:10New Living Translation (NLT)

10 “If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones. But if you are dishonest in little things, you won’t be honest with greater responsibilities.
I tend to get lost in the big picture and feel overwhelmed with all that I need to accomplish and then nothing gets done.  I'm looking for smaller goals daily and to be faithful in the small things.  Those small things will add up.
This year I hope to write on my blog daily.  I was doing a really good job of it for several years and then this year came along and I really crashed.  2015 has been difficult.  From a non working quilting machine and nothing to really show, to my migraines and not wanting to complain, to premenopausal symptoms and dealing with depression, there hasn't been too much I've wanted to keep a record of, but I really do enjoy looking back over the years to see how the kids have grown and how the little bit I've been able to do on a daily basis has really added up.  

Now that my quilting machine is working again, I'm finding the time to get in and get quilting.  I've forgotten how much joy I get out of adding stitches to fabric and knowing that it will be given to someone who needs a warm hug.  Even if I never get to see the person who receives it.  I know each of us are put her on the earth for a short time and with a specific purpose and one of my purposes is to share my talents with others so they know they are loved.  I need to faithfully use those talents daily so that each month there are piles of quilts ready to be given when a need arises.

I also have a goal for making soft toys to be given to kids next Christmas.  I'm having fun with my embroidery machine and the little bits of fabric and stuffing along with some stitching are as much therapy for me as they will be a bright spot for a child at the end of the year.  I'm amazed at what 30 minutes can do.

I also have plans to be a better steward of my time.  I've found that I can waste a good bit of my day and look back and wonder where the day has gone.  Being purposeful of my rest time so I don't burn myself out, but also working when I'm supposed to and not just sitting on the computer or watching TV, but using downtime to crochet baby hats or blankets so that something useful comes out of previously wasted time.  You only get so many times around the sun and as I approach 50 years, it seems each time around is going faster and faster.

I hope that your 2015 ended well and wish you the best for the new year.  Looking forward to the adventures this year will bring.

No comments: