Saturday, January 16, 2016

a drizzly day

 You would think someone would get out there and fix that fence.  It was coming apart when we bought the house 11 years ago, and every year a few boards fall off.  I like it better without the boards on it because I can see the open field and cows (which must be hiding from the rain today) across the gravel pathway.  I could just tear down the whole thing, but I kind of like watching it decay over time.  Or, maybe I am just that lazy.  It's much easier to throw away a board here and there rather than a whole 100 yard long pile of them.  California has been in a drought for the past 4 years and this winter the prediction was for El Nino.  Looks like the weatherman predicted correctly.  We've had a lot of rain the past 6 weeks or so and although I know we need it, days like this make me want to just curl up on the couch under a warm blanket.  The problem is my dog Spot, doesn't seem to understand that I don't want to throw his toy 700 times.  When he sees me sitting on the couch, he brings me the toy and then smiles at me until I throw it.  Again and again and again.  I'm betting he could fetch all day if my arm didn't give out first.  It does make me feel just a little guilty.
Guilty enough to work on a quilt, do a load of laundry (our new washer makes it so I only have to do one load a week-it's that big!) and even a load of dishes.  If only I could harness the energy that dog has, I could be a millionaire without playing the lottery.  My son now has lotto fever and keeps asking if I'm going to be buying another ticket for tonight.  He thinks I have a better chance of winning now that everyone isn't playing.  Sure, there are fewer people to split the prize with, but at only a few million dollars, is it even worth the investment?  I mean if I had to move away from this house and the great view out my window, I'm not sure I could find a suitable replacement :)

No comments: